Support ISBThere are so many ways to give....
We all work hard to make this convention happen. No one gets paid to play. We make it happen because we know and appreciate the inspiration, education, and entertainment it gives all of us. That said, it still costs a lot of money to put it together. Some of the funding comes from registrations and advertising. Did you know that the bulk of our expenses is really covered by donations? It makes all the difference. It doesn’t matter if your donation is large or small, it all goes for our common goal, to make ISB 2015 the best one yet!
The International Society of Bassists is a 501(C)(3) not-for-profit organization, and the full amount of your donation is deductible for Federal income tax purposes as allowed by law. For more information about becoming a supporter, to make a donation to the ISB Endowment Fund, or to design your own sponsorship, contact the ISB, 972.233.9107 x204, email@example.com.
Use our secure online form.
Print out a donation form.
Four Ways to Give to the ISB Through Your Will
If you’re thinking about a bequest to the ISB, there are a number of good reasons for letting us know about your plans:
- The International Society of Bassists may have needs that parallel your particular gift-giving ideas exactly.
- We may be able to help you plan a suitable future memorial to a loved one.
- We may be able to suggest ways for increasing the value of your estate while at the same time increasing the size of your gift to the ISB.
- We are able to say “Thank You” to you now, rather than to your heirs or executor.
Legal documents such as wills should always be prepared by attorneys. The International Society of Bassists submits these few sample bequest forms for the information of our friends and especially for the guidance of attorneys preparing wills for the benefit of the ISB.
The language below is for exemplary purposes only. Always consult an attorney before making your will. The International Society of Bassists is a not-for-profit 501(C)(3) organization, IRS EIN 31-1616145, 14070 Proton Rd. Suite 100, LB9, Dallas, TX 75244.
1. Outright Bequest. This is the most common type of bequest. As with all bequests, it can be changed prior to the donor’s death. A specific dollar amount, or specific property such as real estate, jewelry, or artwork, is designated to be donated. One drawback is that the assets of the estate may grow and only a portion of what the maker of the will intended is finally left to the ISB.
“I give, devise, and bequeath to the International Society of Bassists the sum of ______ dollars (and/or the following described property _____), to be used for __________ (e.g., its general purposes or a specific program or purpose decided upon in advance in consultation with an authorized representative of the ISB.)”
2. Bequest of Residuary Estate. This is a gift of whatever property remains after all other bequests have been fulfilled. Here the maker of the will is assured that loved ones will be provided for before dispositions are made to the ISB or other charities.
“All the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate, both real and personal property of whatever kind and wheresoever situated, which I may own or have the right to dispose of at the time of my decease, I give, devise, and bequeath to the International Society of Bassists to be used for _____ .”
3. Bequest of Percentage of Estate. This is the most flexible way to give. The size of the gift automatically changes with the size of the estate. This assures that the charitable gift remains in proportion to other bequests.
“All the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate, both real and personal property of whatever kind and wheresoever situated, which I may own or have the right to dispose of at the time of my decease, I give, devise, and bequeath as follows: To the International Society of Bassists ______ percent, to be used for _____ .”
4. Contingent Bequest. Every will should contain a contingent bequest to direct distribution in case other beneficiaries do not survive you. Without this provision, your property might pass to beneficiaries in whom you have little or no interest.
“In the case of failure or lapse of any legacy or devise herein such that the property so bequeathed or devised would otherwise pass by intestacy (absence of a will), I give, devise, and bequeath any such failed or lapsed legacy or devise to the International Society of Bassists to be used for _____ .”
A Final Suggestion: A Saving Clause. The future is unpredictable. When drafting a bequest having a restricted purpose, it is always helpful to add a saving clause to ensure that it will always be of maximum use to the ISB if the bequest is no longer needed for its original purpose. It might read as follows: “If at any time, at the discretion of the Board of Directors, this bequest shall be necessary no longer for the stated purpose, the Directors shall have the authority to designate its use for another purpose that most closely carries out my original intent.”
If you are interested in supporting the ISB in this way, please email our General Manager or call (972) 233-9107 ext. 204.
If you prefer this information in a PDF format: ISB planned giving brochure
Do you use Amazon.com?
Did you know that Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the International Society of Bassists? Just tell them that we’re your favorite charitable organization.
In 2003, International Society of Bassists founder Gary Karr transferred the assets of his Karr Doublebass Foundation to the International Society of Bassists. With the proceeds from the sales of these instruments, the ISB is building a permanent endowment fund that will help ensure that the activities of the organization will continue for decades to come.
Thanks to the generosity of sponsors and loyal dues-paying membership, the ISB has always managed to fulfill its financial obligations. By building on Gary Karr’s generous gift, the ISB will be able to plan with more assurance. We have always dreamed of a continuous future for the ISB. Now, with Gary’s help, we can help turn this dream into reality.