Please join me and the ISB Board of Directors in welcoming Jason Heath to our team.
About Jason Heath:
An ISB member for over 25 years, Jason previously served on the organization’s Board of Directors from 2007-2012. Jason received his BM and MM in bass performance from Northwestern University and his teaching certificate from DePaul University.
Jason is the founder and host of Contrabass Conversations, a podcast that covers the global double bass community. His online work has been featured in publications like International Musician, The New Yorker, The Engaging Brand, and ArtsHacker. He also runs doublebassblog.org and has managed digital projects for Midwest Young Artists, Illinois ASTA, Ars Antigua, and the ISB.
As an educator, Jason served on the faculty of DePaul University as an instructor of double bass and music education. He previously served on the faculty of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. He is the Past-President of the Illinois chapter of the American String Teachers Association, and is a past orchestra representative of the Illinois Music Educators Association. He taught high school orchestra and electronic music in several Illinois high schools, and he and his orchestra performed at the 2015 Midwest Clinic.
As a performer, Jason has been a member of the Elgin Symphony, Milwaukee Ballet Orchestra, and IRIS Orchestra. He performed a recital on the Karr-Kousevitzky bass in 2006 and has been a recitalist and concerto soloist throughout the United States.
Jason founded the Whitewater Winter Bassfest in 2003 and currently organizes the Chicago Bass Festival. He has been a faculty member for many camps including the Golden Gate Bass Camp, South Texas Double Bass Festival, and Silk Music Camp. Jason was awarded the Friend of the Bass Award from the International Society of Bassists in 2017.
Role of ISB Board of Directors Communications Chair:
- to be the point person and organizer for publishing and promoting content on isbconnect.org
- contributing organizer of ISB social media channels
- manage the ISB Event Hub
- other miscellaneous tasks
~ Nicholas Walker
Jason’s ISB Activities
Jason first joined the ISB in 1991. He served on Board of Directors from 2007-2012 and was a panelist for “Music in the Digital Age” at the 2009 Convention along with Mark Dresser, Douglas Mapp, Frank Proto, and Phil Palombi. In 2017, Jason moderated the “Making of the ISB” panel discussion, narrated Peter and the Wolf with the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley bass quartet, and worked with Dr. Randy Kertz for his Anatomy of a Bassist session.
- Founder and Host, Contrabass Conversations, 2007 to present.
- Founder and operator of doublebassblog.org, 2005 to present.
- Illinois ASTA State Chapter President, 2014-2016.
- Midwest Young Artists podcast developer, 2008-2014.
- Illinois Music Educators Association Electronic Music Workshop Chair, 2014-2015.
- Illinois ASTA Technology Chair, 2008-2013.
- ISB Board of Directors, 2007-2012.
- Illinois Music Educators Association Orchestra Representative, 2009-2011.
- “An Interview with ISB President Douglas Mapp” Bass World Fall 2016
- “International Society of Bassists Convention Retrospective” Bass World Fall 2009
- “Jason Heath’s Double Bass Blog” TimeOut Chicago Issue 227 July 2009
- “Tackling the Karr-Koussevitzky Bass” Bass World Summer 2009
- “Podcasting with Midwest Young Artists” The Scroll (Illinois ASTA) Winter 2009
- “Heath Built a Fanbase from the Bottom Up” International Musician February 2008
- “Adjunct Faculty Pay Disparities” Adjunct Advocate April 2007
- “Poducation” Double Bassist February 2007