Submit a proposal to be a presenter at the 2015 ISB Convention!
We are pleased to invite you to submit a proposal to present at the 2015 International Society of Bassists Convention. Your proposal may be for either the general convention schedule, and/or the ISB Young Bassists Program (ages 8-18). The event will take place on the campus of Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado, from Tuesday, June 2nd, through Saturday, June 6th. We anticipate over 1,000 bassists, exhibitors, collaborative musicians, family members and guests from around the world to attend the concerts, seminars, workshops, lecture-demonstrations, panel discussions, masterclasses, exhibits, Young Bassists Program, and ensembles for non-professional bassists. In addition, the ISB will be holding solo, jazz, orchestral and young bassist performance competitions, and the eighth biennial ISB Maker’s Competition over Monday, June 1st and Tuesday, June 2nd.
As a non-profit organization that puts its revenues back to work for its membership, we are unable to reimburse travel expenses. Additionally, we do not pay appearance fees to bassists, one of the ISB convention’s long held and guiding principles. We are grateful for the many presenters over the years who have donated their time, travel and talent as a way of giving back to the worldwide bass community. Presenters receive a complimentary convention registration for the week plus badges for their non-bass playing guests and family members at no charge.
We expect to receive a large number of proposals for the 2015 convention and will make every effort to accommodate as many presenters as possible. You might consider submitting an idea for a joint presentation with a fellow bassist, which are always welcome. Due to space and time slots available to us, we may not be able to accept every proposal for the first draft of the schedule, but we maintain a standby list to fill in when there are cancellations. If you’d like to research past presentation topics, go to the Online Resource Library, where you can click on and view searchable PDFs of convention programs going back to the 1980s.
If you are interested in appearing at the 2015 convention, please complete the online proposal form no later than Wednesday, October 01, 2014. We hope to have the convention schedule assembled by November 15th, and that we’ll be seeing you next June at Colorado State University!
Chair, 2015 ISB Convention
Suggested Topics / Themes
- Performing the compositions of Frank Proto, to help celebrate his 75th birthday! We hope to feature all of Frank’s compositions for and with double bass over five days. Let us know what piece(s) you would like to program (if more than one, list them all in the notes field.)
- Recitals, master classes, ensembles
- Pedagogy, practice strategies
- Technique, warm-ups
- Mind-body, yoga, Alexander technique
- Career development, auditions, excerpts
- Early music, musicology, research
- World music and its connection to culture
- Improvisation, new music, meaning of music
- Electronic applications, theater pieces
- Alternate tunings
- Career advice, the business of music
- Panel discussions / interviews with bass legends and rising stars
Click here if you are an ISB member and wish to make a submission.