The latest issue of Bass World is available now. This issue features a delightful re-cap of our ISB2015 in Fort Collins, Colorado!
- The 2015 ISB Convention at Colorado State University – See who was there, awards that were presented, and a general overview of what happened. Reading this will get you excited for ISB2017 in Ithaca, New York.
- Scott LaFaro Bass Dedication – Barrie Kolstein gifted Scott LaFaro’s bass to the ISB in 2014. The presentation was made official during ISB2015 complete with Barrie and members of Scott LaFaro’s family.
- Build a Bass in a Week, An Interview with Dustin Williams – You may have read the brief recap or saw some pictures on ISBconnect. Now, you can read the full back story on how this amazing project came about.
- 2015 ISB Orchestra Competition Winner’s week with the National Symphony Orchestra – Rudy Albach describes his amazing week as a member of the NSO’s bass section as they played Mahler’s Symphony No. 3.
- Young Bassists Program – A Parent’s Perspective – Ken Appelt gives an beautiful account of how important our YB program is for the future of bass. Be careful, though. What you read might inspire you.
- The Future is in Good Hands: The 2015 Young Bassists Program – Find out exactly what happens during the week with these young amazing players.
- Noontime Bass Ensembles – New Name, Same Great Music – Everyone gets a chance to make music during the week. Will you be playing with us in 2017?
- The New Music Summit: One Listener’s Overview – Second-time convention attendee Jeff Harshbarger shares his week of explorations in tango, free-improv, Turkish, Middle-Eastern, Americana, performance art and beyond.
- Exploring Eugene Levinson’s School of Agility – Joel Braun discusses Levinson’s system of fingering for the double bass.
- How to Ignite Your Inner Teacher – David Ballam takes you through the steps.
In addition to our features, we also have our regular columns:
- Different Strokes – Michael Hovnanian discusses Creative Fingering Solutions for Bruckner’s Symphony No. 7
- Body & Bass – Dr. Randy Kertz pulls the plug on ‘trigger finger’.
- Milestones – Celebrating Evgeny Kolosov’s 53rd anniversary of teaching at the Moscow Conservatory and his own 75th birthday jubilee.
- Child’s Play – John Kennedy discusses how we can become better teachers.
- In The Zone – Common threads from audition winners Katherine Munagian (Section Bass, Nashville Symphony Orchestra) and Kevin Brown (Principal Bass, Detroit Symphony Orchestra).
- Rumblings – Heather Miller Lardin hips to some great early bass resources on the web.
- Young Bassist’s Page – Gaelen McCormick shares her ABC of Bass Basics. You’ll never look at the alphabet the same again.
- PLUS the latest reviews in music for you to play and hear.
Get your copy of Bass World by joining the ISB today! As a member, you also have full access to the complete archives of past issues of Bass World, convention programs and ISB calendars at the ISB/George Vance Online Resource Library.